The Town of Yarmouth is accepting applications for a Project Engineer. This position will work with and support the Engineering team by providing day to day operational, technical and project support.
Welcome to Yarmouth! Yarmouth is the regional centre of southwestern Nova Scotia. Yarmouth is the financial, business, education, and lifestyle centre for the 70,000 people who live in the tri-counties of Yarmouth, Digby and Shelburne. The port of Yarmouth is central to Yarmouth's history and development. With Canada's most lucrative fishing industry, Yarmouth and the Acadian Shores have a culture and economy historically tied to fishing and related industries.
We're located at the southwestern tip of Nova Scotia. New Brunswick is located to the north, separated by the Bay of Fundy. Halifax is just over 300 kilometers away, while Maine, USA is located to the northwest. Yarmouth harbour is an international entry-point. Our ferry terminal is a vital link between our town (often called "the gateway to Nova Scotia") and the United States as Bay Ferries operates “The CAT” ferry between Yarmouth and Bar Harbour, Maine. Our enviable climate is the reason so many visitors become residents. We’re known as the Banana Belt of Atlantic Canada due to our mild winters and cool summers.
We've built a reputation for hard-working industry, warm hospitality, and a deep sense of our shared history. Our roots in the ocean and the golden age of sail are all around us – from our historic waterfront and Victorian architecture to our marine industries and world-renowned seafood. Yarmouth has something for everyone, including a thriving cultural scene, emerging digital industry, and strong community ties.
Under the supervision of the Town Engineer, this position provides technical advice and expertise in municipal engineering. This includes assisting the engineering team with the execution of the full life cycle for capital projects from RFP to closeout. This position will also have a role in the planning and development reviews, maintaining environmental compliance, and providing engineering input for funding applications.
The ideal candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Professional status and membership with Engineers Nova Scotia
- Three (3) years' experience in public sector role
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Effective communicator
- Comfortable in the office and in the field on active constructive sites
- Strong technical skills attained through education and work experiences
- Ability to prioritize work
Join our Team
- Permanent full-time (35 hours per week)
- Optional compressed work week as per policy
- Competitive health benefits
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan - Nova Scotia Public Service Superannuation Pension Plan
- Satisfactory proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required, in accordance with Town Policy
To apply for this position please submit your resume and cover letter in a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org
This vacancy will remain advertised until a successful candidate is selected.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
A complete job description is available by visiting the Town of Yarmouth website at: