Utilities Services Manager, Electrical
University of Alberta
Facilities & Operations UT Electrical Utility
Competition No. - A100151777
Closing Date - Will remain open until filled.
This position is excluded from the bargaining unit.
In accordance with the Handbook of Employment for Management and Professional Staff (Excluded), this full-time continuing position offers a comprehensive benefits package that can be viewed on our Benefits Overview page and annual salary range which will be commensurate with qualifications.
Location - North Campus Edmonton. This role is in-person.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Metis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Reporting to the AVP of Utilities, the Utility Services Manager, Electrical Utilities is accountable for ensuring the safe, reliable and efficient operation of the University's district energy system, electrical high voltage distribution system, industrial power systems and controls, and on-site power generation. This includes support for the electrical utility services for satellite operations including the Edmonton Research Station, University Botanical Gardens and other University properties.
- Provide leadership to the overall planning and delivery of Electrical Utility services across the Greater Campus area. This includes a complex electrical distribution system, on-site power generation, and industrial power systems and controls in all of the utility plants that form part of the district energy system;
- Effectively champion the disaster recovery, maintenance, monitoring and capital project initiatives and provide guidance to execution of the production plan to effectively meet its mandates;
- Conducts engineering and cost studies on electrical systems, such as protective device coordination, load flow modeling, primary electrical switchgear replacement, short circuit analysis, load shedding and power factor correction;
- Manages and controls capital, operating and project funds to ensure the optimum use of financial resources;
- Collaborates with the AVP, Utilities in the planning, design, and construction of all facets of the high voltage electrical utilities system, systems components, and provides technical and analytical input as required;
- Deliver effective leadership to guide a passionate team of highly skilled professionals to meet key deliverables;
- Evaluates personnel skills and capabilities and initiates training and upgrading programs to maintain technical and supervisory excellence;
- Drives the planned maintenance program for Electrical Utilities including review of all maintenance test results and review of test procedures used by the Electrical Utilities.
- Fosters and maintains close working relationships with the other groups in the Utilities Department to meet personnel requirements;
- Maintains liaisons with outside electrical transmission and distribution with other utility suppliers;
- Maintains contacts with outside user groups such as the University Hospital, Cross Cancer Institute, Alberta Infrastructure and other users in the Greater Campus Area;
- Provides technical and professional expertise to all customer building operations on operational issues related to power supply.
- Given the mandate in an environment that serves a large medical precinct and teaching and research needs, operating and maintaining the system in a safe, efficient, and reliable manner is critical.
- Postsecondary degree in Electrical Engineering or an Electrical Engineering Technology Diploma with a minimum of 10+ years progressive experience in electrical power distribution and/or generation;
- 5+ years of significant leadership, supervision and human resource management in the development of efficient and effective service-orientated work teams;
- Experience in developing effective networks and transformational relationships at all levels internal and external to the organization;
- Experience in design and installation of utility electrical systems;
- Experience overseeing large scale electrical projects;
- Experience in leading work through a comprehensive safety program
- Experience with the use of SKM and ETAP Power System analysis programs is an asset
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4602613
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Metis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.