Engineering planning and design work related to a variety of civil engineering projects, with focus on municipal infrastructure projects. The Project Engineer is directly accountable for work in their assigned service area. Strait Engineering Limited has operated out of Port Hawkes bury, Nova Scotia since 1983.
Position: Full Time/Permanent
Hour of Work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Rate of Pay: Based on qualifications
Additional Compensation: All statutory/non-statutory holidays, extra holidays for Christmas/New Years, Medical/Life/ AD&D/Long Term Disability
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide professional certification of work within field of expertise including signing and sealing related design drawings and as-constructed drawings.
- Provide professional and technical expertise, guidance and direction to project team members including junior/intermediate engineers, technicians and staff including acting as project lead.
- Responsible for project implementation from concept to commissioning for a variety of civil engineering projects including production of contract documents, tender process, construction, and start-up of a project through to project completion.
- Design, evaluate, and implement a variety of wastewater and water systems and facilities.
- Prepare and review contract specification, detailed cost estimates, staff reports, request for proposals, and tender documents.
- Receive, evaluate, and recommend acceptance or rejection of tenders.
- Provide assistance, direction and clarification of contract intent to internal/external stakeholders.
- Provide contract oversight and administration including overseeing, directing, liaising, and negotiating with contractor and/or consultants.
- Provide project oversight and project management ensuring projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Prepare written technical engineering submissions to internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensure current standards are adhered to for design, construction, and operational matters.
- Provide assistance in the career development of junior staff including technical direction, coaching and mentoring.
- Upgrade knowledge and experience to evaluate and/or implement engineering standards and practices in compliance with federal and provincial guidelines and legislation.
- Civil Engineering degree and 8 years of relevant work experience in the following fields; municipal, civil design, transportation, water sanitary and stormwater design, surveying and project management with an emphasis on municipal infrastructure including water and wastewater facilities, and the design of facilities that collect, treat and dispose of wastewater.
- Membership or eligible for membership in Engineers Nova Scotia.
- A thorough knowledge of standards, materials, methods of construction and design, contract administration and engineering operations.
- Demonstrated experience with project management and project oversight working with complex and diverse systems.
- Demonstrated experience with contract management including providing direction and oversight while ensuring standards and expectations are met.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, spreadsheet and project scheduling programs and databases. Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Excellent presentation skills with demonstrated ability to communicate complex, technical information to non-technical and technical audiences
- Knowledge of federal/provincial/municipal regulations, legislation, codes, standards and guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), attention to detail, ability to interact with co-workers and public in positive/professional manner, and strong organizational/time management skills are all required.
- Must possess a valid NS Driver's License.
To apply please email your resume and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants who apply, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.